Girl-Wonder.org is pleased to announce that it is holding elections for the Board of Directors for its governing body, Gworg.
Gworg is an incorporated non-profit feminist organization dedicated to fostering an attentive, empowered comics fan community, to encouraging respect and high-quality character depiction, and to assisting the professional development of women working in the field of comics. Anyone who supports these aims is eligible to become a member, and all members are able to vote, stand for office, and nominate others to the Board.
Becoming a Director is an excellent opportunity to support and direct the progress of Girl-Wonder.org! Moreover, since Gworg is a registered non-profit organization, this also makes a great entry of volunteer work on your resume.
This is how it works:
1) To become an official member of Gworg, you must purchase a voting membership good for one year. There is a nominal fee of five dollars, which is waived for Girl-Wonder.org volunteers (bloggers, cartoonists, forums moderators, etc). All members are eligible to vote in elections, and to nominate themselves or others for Board positions.
2) If you want to be a Board Director, nominate yourself! You can also nominate others don’t worry about approaching them to see if they’re interested or if they’re members, because we’ll do that.
3) We’ll make sure all nominees want to run for election and are eligible to do so.
We will be accepting new members and Board nominations from Tuesday, November 30th through Tuesday, December 21st. Elections will be announced on Tuesday, December 28th. Members will then have until Tuesday, January 4th to vote for this year’s Gworg Board of Directors.
Each Board of Directors will decide upon tasks depending on its Directors’ talents and interests, but below are listed some of the things that past and current Directors have done. As you can see, there’s plenty of scope for many kinds of activities under the Girl-Wonder.org banner!
- Chairs Board meetings, oversees projects, liases with other organizations.
- Keeps minutes, sorts correspondence, organizes Board meeting schedule and agenda.
- Keeps funds, makes financial reports, organizes audits.
- Keeps the back-end of the site running, fixes catastrophes, adds new sub-sites.
Press and Media Coordinator
- Handles press contacts, manages con promotions, writes press releases
- Organises Girl-Wonder.org’s charity auctions
- Investigating regulations and requirements for incorporation, filing documentation, keeping records, getting us incorporated (yay!)
- Soliciting and coordinating contributors, designing layout, publishing zine
- Investigates options for Girl-Wonder.org merchandise
- Liaises between Board and forum moderators, recruits new moderators, organizes moderator schedules and forum rules.